[Dspam-user] Consultant needed

Al Zick
Hi,

I am looking for a consultant that can make dspam training work. If
any one is interested, please email me off list.

Kind Regards,
Al

Re: [Dspam-user] Consultant needed

Martin Wheldon
Hi Al,

I would be interested, I've been running Dspam for a number of years in
combination with postfix.
I've attached a copy of my CV for you to have a look at.

Best Regards

Martin Wheldon

On 2014-11-28 00:43, Al Zick wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a consultant that can make dspam training work. If
> any one is interested, please email me off list.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Al

> from Actuate! Instantly Supercharge Your Business Reports and
> Dashboards
> with Interactivity, Sharing, Native Excel Exports, App Integration &
> more
> Get technology previously reserved for billion-dollar corporations,
> FREE

> !DSPAM:31,5477c609182971203440396!

MWheldon (Dec 2014).pdf (292K) Download Attachment

Re: [Dspam-user] Consultant needed

Benny Pedersen-2
Martin Wheldon skrev den 2014-12-01 16:11:

> I would be interested, I've been running Dspam for a number of years
> in combination with postfix.
> I've attached a copy of my CV for you to have a look at.

it will be sad to see if none ask quiestions here anymore since all just
get problem solved with payments :/

Re: [Dspam-user] Consultant needed

Reindl Harald

Am 02.12.2014 um 18:44 schrieb Benny Pedersen:
> Martin Wheldon skrev den 2014-12-01 16:11:
>
>> I would be interested, I've been running Dspam for a number of years
>> in combination with postfix.
>> I've attached a copy of my CV for you to have a look at.
>
> it will be sad to see if none ask quiestions here anymore since all just
> get problem solved with payments :/

dspam has other problems
it's de-facto dead and unmaintained

Re: [Dspam-user] Consultant needed

Tom Hendrikx

Am 02.12.2014 um 21:41 schrieb Tom Hendrikx:

> On 02-12-14 21:17, Reindl Harald wrote:

>>> it will be sad to see if none ask quiestions here anymore since
>>> all just get problem solved with payments :/
>>
>> dspam has other problems it's de-facto dead and unmaintained
>>

> Hi Harald,
>
> You're not using dspam, and you're convinced it's dead.
> Then why are you lingering on this mailing list for any other reason
> than to tell them that it's dead?
to avoid users installing from their package management, invest a lot of
time and find out that it was a investment with no future and no
bugfixes or enhancement?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dspam/files/
2012-04-11

you would install that seriously on a sensible server?
if a project is dead it should say that clear and close

On 02-12-14 22:07, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 02.12.2014 um 21:41 schrieb Tom Hendrikx:

>>> dspam has other problems it's de-facto dead and unmaintained
>>>

>> Hi Harald,
>>
>> You're not using dspam, and you're convinced it's dead. Then why
>> are you lingering on this mailing list for any other reason than
>> to tell them that it's dead?
>
> to avoid users installing from their package management, invest a
> lot of time and find out that it was a investment with no future
> and no bugfixes or enhancement?
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/dspam/files/ 2012-04-11
>
> you would install that seriously on a sensible server? if a project
> is dead it should say that clear and close

Are you also the procmail list, helping people on not installing
procmail? And on the qmail list, dito? And the MS Windows forum?

Take a break: if you don't use the software and don't have anything
useful to share for those who are interested in it, then please
unsubscribe in stead of trolling around.

Tom

Am 02.12.2014 um 23:09 schrieb Tom Hendrikx:

> On 02-12-14 22:07, Reindl Harald wrote:

>>> Hi Harald,
>>>
>>> You're not using dspam, and you're convinced it's dead. Then why
>>> are you lingering on this mailing list for any other reason than
>>> to tell them that it's dead?
>>
>> to avoid users installing from their package management, invest a
>> lot of time and find out that it was a investment with no future
>> and no bugfixes or enhancement?
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/dspam/files/ 2012-04-11
>>
>> you would install that seriously on a sensible server? if a project
>> is dead it should say that clear and close
>
> Are you also the procmail list, helping people on not installing
> procmail?
no, because i never considered to use it anywhere

> And on the qmail list, dito?

no, because i never considered to use it anywhere

> And the MS Windows forum?

windows is unmaintained?
since when?

not that i use it after 2006 but it's not unmaintained

> Take a break: if you don't use the software and don't have anything
> useful to share for those who are interested in it, then please
> unsubscribe in stead of trolling around

in your optionion it is trolling
in my opinion it is people saving time

frankly i invested a lot of hours while considering dspam and if someone
would have told (as it later happened by a core developer) that it's
nothing for a long term setup i could have spent that time in
SpamAssassin as i did later

Re: [Dspam-user] Consultant needed

ktm@rice.edu
On Tue, Dec 02, 2014 at 10:07:09PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 02.12.2014 um 21:41 schrieb Tom Hendrikx:

> >>dspam has other problems it's de-facto dead and unmaintained
> >>

> >Hi Harald,
> >
> >You're not using dspam, and you're convinced it's dead.
> >Then why are you lingering on this mailing list for any other reason
> >than to tell them that it's dead?
>
> to avoid users installing from their package management, invest a
> lot of time and find out that it was a investment with no future and
> no bugfixes or enhancement?
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/dspam/files/
> 2012-04-11
>
> you would install that seriously on a sensible server?
> if a project is dead it should say that clear and close

Because it works very well for many people straight from the repos, it
does not have a lot of development, but does not need it to be a worthwhile
project.

Regards,
Ken

Re: [Dspam-user] Consultant needed

Phil Stracchino

Re: [Dspam-user] Consultant needed

Eric Broch

Thanks Tom and Ken,

I'll use DSPAM until I can't possibly use it anymore. It SOLVED my spam problems while other spam filters worked marginally at best. And as far as my clients are concerned, the time I put into implementing it on their systems was well worth the money spent as their inbox's are NO LONGER cluttered with spam. This is especially nice as many use cell phones to check email.

DSPAM is available for RHEL 7 which has a life expectancy for another ~7 to ~10 years.

Who knows, maybe in that time someone will step up and maintain it.

Eric Broch

On 12/2/2014 1:41 PM, Tom Hendrikx wrote:
> On 02-12-14 21:17, Reindl Harald wrote:

> >> it will be sad to see if none ask quiestions here anymore since
> >> all just get problem solved with payments :/
>
> > dspam has other problems it's de-facto dead and unmaintained
>

> Hi Harald,
>
> You're not using dspam, and you're convinced it's dead.
> Then why are you lingering on this mailing list for any other reason
> than to tell them that it's dead?
>
> Tom

Re: [Dspam-user] Consultant needed

Steve Freegard-2
On 02/12/14 21:07, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 02.12.2014 um 21:41 schrieb Tom Hendrikx:

>>> dspam has other problems it's de-facto dead and unmaintained
>>>

>> Hi Harald,
>>
>> You're not using dspam, and you're convinced it's dead.
>> Then why are you lingering on this mailing list for any other reason
>> than to tell them that it's dead?
>
> to avoid users installing from their package management, invest a lot of
> time and find out that it was a investment with no future and no
> bugfixes or enhancement?
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/dspam/files/
> 2012-04-11
>
> you would install that seriously on a sensible server?
> if a project is dead it should say that clear and close

To add my voice to the others; I started using DSPAM fairly recently and
whilst I don't use the web interface (I cooked up my own methods of
training), I've found it to be completely stable and I've had absolutely
no issues with it at all and accuracy once trained has been excellent.

If you're willing to spend the time to learn it and get your hands dirty
a bit, then DSPAM is well worth the effort IMO.   It's way faster than
SpamAssassin (due to the bazillion network tests that SA does) and is a
considerably more advanced implementation of Bayes than SA.

I would love to be able to help the DSPAM project by contributing some
code, but I'm not a C coder and the actual core of DSPAM works pretty
damn well for me as it is.   The only thing I'd like to see is some
additional storage modules (e.g. Redis) and improving log output when
trying to debug issues as that IMO is the worst part of DSPAM as it is
at the moment.

Kind regards,
Steve.

Re: [Dspam-user] Consultant needed

P.V.Anthony-2
On 12/03/2014 06:54 AM, Eric Broch wrote:

> Thanks Tom and Ken,
>
> I'll use DSPAM until I can't possibly use it anymore. It SOLVED my spam
> problems while other spam filters worked marginally at best. And as far
> as my clients are concerned, the time I put into implementing it on
> their systems was well worth the money spent as their inbox's are NO
> LONGER cluttered with spam. This is especially nice as many use cell
> phones to check email.
>
> DSPAM is available for RHEL 7 which has a life expectancy for another ~7
> to ~10 years.
>
> Who knows, maybe in that time someone will step up and maintain it.
>
> Eric Broch

I too use dspam and I like it. For me, it does the job very well.

P.V.Anthony

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Am 03.12.2014 um 11:39 schrieb Steve Freegard:
> If you're willing to spend the time to learn it and get your hands dirty
> a bit, then DSPAM is well worth the effort IMO. It's way faster than
> SpamAssassin (due to the bazillion network tests that SA does) and is a
> considerably more advanced implementation of Bayes than SA

the bazillion network tests (if dspam is really missing them) are a
great benefit because you can't catch most fresh spam only by content
nor rely on content analysis alone without whitelists for sane results

we achieve with SpamAssassin and wise postfix filters in front a 98%
spam hit rate (meaning reject at smtp level) with below 10 false
positives per month

guess what - these below are most responsible by a reject score of 8.0
combined with whitelists and BAYES_00 configure with a -3.0 score

score URIBL_AB_SURBL 4.5
score URIBL_JP_SURBL 4.5
score URIBL_MW_SURBL 5.0
score URIBL_PH_SURBL 5.0
score URIBL_WS_SURBL 3.5
score URIBL_SC_SURBL 0.5
score URIBL_SBL 1.0
score URIBL_SBL_A 1.2
score URIBL_DBL_SPAM 3.0
score URIBL_DBL_BOTNETCC 3.0
score URIBL_DBL_PHISH 3.5
score URIBL_DBL_MALWARE 3.5
score URIBL_DBL_ABUSE_SPAM 3.0
score URIBL_DBL_ABUSE_BOTCC 3.0
score URIBL_DBL_ABUSE_PHISH 5.0
score URIBL_DBL_ABUSE_MALW 5.0
score URIBL_BLACK 6.5
score URIBL_GREY 0.5
score URIBL_RED 0.5
score URIBL_DBL_REDIR 0.1
score URIBL_DBL_ABUSE_REDIR 0.3

Re: [Dspam-user] Don't feed the troll (was: Consultant needed)

Christoph Langguth

On 12/02/2014 11:09 PM, Tom Hendrikx wrote:
 > On 02-12-14 22:07, Reindl Harald wrote:

 >>> Hi Harald,
 >>>
 >>> You're not using dspam, and you're convinced it's dead. Then why
 >>> are you lingering on this mailing list for any other reason than
 >>> to tell them that it's dead?
 >>
 >> to avoid users installing from their package management, invest a
 >> lot of time and find out that it was a investment with no future
 >> and no bugfixes or enhancement?
 >>
 >> http://sourceforge.net/projects/dspam/files/ 2012-04-11
 >>
 >> you would install that seriously on a sensible server? if a project
 >> is dead it should say that clear and close
 >>
 >
 > Are you also the procmail list, helping people on not installing
 > procmail? And on the qmail list, dito? And the MS Windows forum?
 >
 > Take a break: if you don't use the software and don't have anything
 > useful to share for those who are interested in it, then please
 > unsubscribe in stead of trolling around.
 >
 > Tom

Tom, and everybody else,

don't bother.

I'm not on terribly many public mailing lists, but even on the few that
I am... it's kind of spooky, he seems to always be around.

But all that he is "contributing" is essentially white noise. I haven't
ever come across a single constructive post. Just ignore the troll.

Cheers
Chris

PS: Just one example for further reading:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/advisory-board/2013-May/011982.html

Am 04.12.2014 um 11:20 schrieb Christoph Langguth:
> Tom, and everybody else,
>
> don't bother.
>
> I'm not on terribly many public mailing lists, but even on the few that
> I am... it's kind of spooky, he seems to always be around.
>
> But all that he is "contributing" is essentially white noise. I haven't
> ever come across a single constructive post. Just ignore the troll.

then you did not really look deeper

frankly, i have postet thousands of times whole configurations of all
sort of servertypes on many lists in the past

https://roshi.fedorapeople.org/heroes-of-fedora-hof-quarter-1-2014-statistics.html

http://kparal.wordpress.com/2013/07/10/the-heroes-of-fedora-updates-testing-in-q2-2013/

https://roshi.fedorapeople.org/heroes-of-fedora-quarter-3-2013-statistics.html

Re: [Dspam-user] Don't feed the troll

Reindl Harald

Am 04.12.2014 um 11:20 schrieb Christoph Langguth:
> Tom, and everybody else,
>
> don't bother.
>
> I'm not on terribly many public mailing lists, but even on the few that
> I am... it's kind of spooky, he seems to always be around.

before you call others a troll you should just inform yourself what they
are talking about - *that below* is the state of dspam

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.mail.spam.dspam.user/19136

On 04/12/14 01:00, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 03.12.2014 um 11:39 schrieb Steve Freegard:
>> If you're willing to spend the time to learn it and get your hands dirty
>> a bit, then DSPAM is well worth the effort IMO. It's way faster than
>> SpamAssassin (due to the bazillion network tests that SA does) and is a
>> considerably more advanced implementation of Bayes than SA
>
> the bazillion network tests (if dspam is really missing them) are a
> great benefit because you can't catch most fresh spam only by content
> nor rely on content analysis alone without whitelists for sane results

Yeah - but conversely you can't rely on network tests alone to catch
everything.  Filtering spam effectively requires a layered approach and
being smart about the costs (e.g. CPU, RAM, Bandwidth) of each layer
.vs. the effectiveness of it.

> we achieve with SpamAssassin and wise postfix filters in front a 98%
> spam hit rate (meaning reject at smtp level) with below 10 false
> positives per month

So do I - except I'm not using Postfix or Postscreen; I'm using stuff
that I wrote myself or helped to write (see
http://www.github.com/baudehlo/Haraka).

Part of what I do is feed a sample of stuff that I'm going to be
rejecting (due to other pre-DATA filtering) to DSPAM and have it
classify it and if it has a confidence < threshold then I run an
inoculation on the message, this is so that DSPAM always sees fresh spam
which normally a problem with Bayesian implementations if you do a lot
of rejects at the SMTP stage as I do.

I also train DSPAM using TONE (Train-on-near-error) so that if DSPAM
isn't sure about a message <= 75% confidence, then I mark the message
with [HAM?] or [SPAM?] and ask the user to train on the message
accordingly.  Once trained, you see a couple of these a month or so and
this keeps it very accurate.

> guess what - these below are most responsible by a reject score of 8.0
> combined with whitelists and BAYES_00 configure with a -3.0 score
>
> score URIBL_AB_SURBL 4.5
> score URIBL_JP_SURBL 4.5
> score URIBL_MW_SURBL 5.0
> score URIBL_PH_SURBL 5.0
> score URIBL_WS_SURBL 3.5
> score URIBL_SC_SURBL 0.5
> score URIBL_SBL 1.0
> score URIBL_SBL_A 1.2
> score URIBL_DBL_SPAM 3.0
> score URIBL_DBL_BOTNETCC 3.0
> score URIBL_DBL_PHISH 3.5
> score URIBL_DBL_MALWARE 3.5
> score URIBL_DBL_ABUSE_SPAM 3.0
> score URIBL_DBL_ABUSE_BOTCC 3.0
> score URIBL_DBL_ABUSE_PHISH 5.0
> score URIBL_DBL_ABUSE_MALW 5.0
> score URIBL_BLACK 6.5
> score URIBL_GREY 0.5
> score URIBL_RED 0.5
> score URIBL_DBL_REDIR 0.1
> score URIBL_DBL_ABUSE_REDIR 0.3

Cool - a DBL or URIBL_BLACK hit here is a reject (except where the DBL
return value > 100); I don't even bother with SA/DSPAM for those.

I still use SA here; but with it's Bayes switched off and rules in place
to use DSPAM results instead (if DSPAM doesn't score it enough to reject
it outright) and with a load of custom rules and network tests that I
wouldn't reject on but would score with.

Anyway - I'm not here to debate with you about how to filter stuff I'm
merely saying that DSPAM is mature and the engine works well provided
you're willing to spend the time to learn how it works and to get it
running effectively.  It's definitely the best open-source Bayesian
engine available based on it's features (e.g. networkable, SQL support
etc.).

Kind regards,
Steve.

RW

Re: [Dspam-user] Consultant needed

RW
On Wed, 03 Dec 2014 10:39:41 +0000
Steve Freegard wrote:

> > you would install that seriously on a sensible server?
> > if a project is dead it should say that clear and close
> >

> To add my voice to the others; I started using DSPAM fairly recently
> and whilst I don't use the web interface (I cooked up my own methods
> of training), I've found it to be completely stable and I've had
> absolutely no issues with it at all and accuracy once trained has
> been excellent.
>
> If you're willing to spend the time to learn it and get your hands
> dirty a bit, then DSPAM is well worth the effort IMO.   It's way
> faster than SpamAssassin (due to the bazillion network tests that SA
> does) and is a considerably more advanced implementation of Bayes
> than SA.

I've scored Bogofilter (with multi-word tokenization ) and DSPAM (with
various settings) into SpamAssassin for some years, and collectively it
works well.  However DSPAM does seem to be the weakest link. It's been
consistently out-performed by Bogofilter in terms of both the TP and FP
rate over the entire period.

What I'm seeing is that DSPAM seems to have some blind-spots that let
it down. There are some types of spam that it unaccountably struggles
with that are caught easily by Bayes and Bogofilter.  I'd be surprised
if it isn't being let down by bugs.

As always YMMV.

Re: [Dspam-user] Consultant needed

Stevan Bajić
On 05.12.2014 19:05, RW wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Dec 2014 10:39:41 +0000
> Steve Freegard wrote:
>
>>> you would install that seriously on a sensible server?
>>> if a project is dead it should say that clear and close
>>>

>> To add my voice to the others; I started using DSPAM fairly recently
>> and whilst I don't use the web interface (I cooked up my own methods
>> of training), I've found it to be completely stable and I've had
>> absolutely no issues with it at all and accuracy once trained has
>> been excellent.
>>
>> If you're willing to spend the time to learn it and get your hands
>> dirty a bit, then DSPAM is well worth the effort IMO.   It's way
>> faster than SpamAssassin (due to the bazillion network tests that SA
>> does) and is a considerably more advanced implementation of Bayes
>> than SA.
> I've scored Bogofilter (with multi-word tokenization ) and DSPAM (with
> various settings) into SpamAssassin for some years, and collectively it
> works well.  However DSPAM does seem to be the weakest link. It's been
> consistently out-performed by Bogofilter in terms of both the TP and FP
> rate over the entire period.
Do you have a spam/ham corpus for reproducing the test? Have you used
plain DSPAM or have you used a trained DSPAM?

> What I'm seeing is that DSPAM seems to have some blind-spots that let
> it down. There are some types of spam that it unaccountably struggles
> with that are caught easily by Bayes and Bogofilter.  I'd be surprised
> if it isn't being let down by bugs.
Probably every software has bugs. Do you have such special spam messages
that makes DSPAM struggle? Can you send them to me?

> As always YMMV.

  Kind Regards from Switzerland,

  Stevan Bajić