[Dspam-user] DSPAM and dovecot antispam not training

[Dspam-user] DSPAM and dovecot antispam not training

David Mehler
Hello to everyone,

I'm a new member. I'm trying to get DSPAM going with my existing mail
server as spam is becoming to much and existing measures are slipping.

I'm running a Fedora 17 vps, postfix 2.9, dovecot 2.1, DSPAM 3.10, and
MySQL 5.5. My users are all virtual and are stored in the MySQL
database. The software with the exception of dovecot-antispam was
installed from rpm packages, dovecot-antispam was compiled from
source.

My setup is working in that a virtual user can log in to the email
server, for example via webmail, and forward either a spam or a
notspam message to spam or ham at the domain. I do not see any
evidence of this in the maillog, as dspam is not logging anything, but
the size of the MySQL database increases with each submission via
email.

That works, but is slow. What I want to do is select every message in
a folder that's spam, and move them to the spam folder, automatically
training DSPAM. This doesn't happen, the messages move to the spam
folder actually it's Spam, on the system the folder size increases and
the message is there, but no increase in database size. Again nothing
in the logs.

I believe I'm using the dspam backend with the /usr/bin/dspam binary.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, and ideas how to get what's happening
in the logs. If my configs are needed let me know which and I can
sanitize them before passing them on.

Thanks.
Dave.

Re: [Dspam-user] DSPAM and dovecot antispam not training

Remo Mattei
You could run a corn job but that's painful if you have a lot of users.

Remo

Inviato da IPad ()

> Il giorno Feb 10, 2014, alle ore 19:27, David Mehler <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
> Hello to everyone,
>
> I'm a new member. I'm trying to get DSPAM going with my existing mail
> server as spam is becoming to much and existing measures are slipping.
>
> I'm running a Fedora 17 vps, postfix 2.9, dovecot 2.1, DSPAM 3.10, and
> MySQL 5.5. My users are all virtual and are stored in the MySQL
> database. The software with the exception of dovecot-antispam was
> installed from rpm packages, dovecot-antispam was compiled from
> source.
>
> My setup is working in that a virtual user can log in to the email
> server, for example via webmail, and forward either a spam or a
> notspam message to spam or ham at the domain. I do not see any
> evidence of this in the maillog, as dspam is not logging anything, but
> the size of the MySQL database increases with each submission via
> email.
>
> That works, but is slow. What I want to do is select every message in
> a folder that's spam, and move them to the spam folder, automatically
> training DSPAM. This doesn't happen, the messages move to the spam
> folder actually it's Spam, on the system the folder size increases and
> the message is there, but no increase in database size. Again nothing
> in the logs.
>
> I believe I'm using the dspam backend with the /usr/bin/dspam binary.
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions, and ideas how to get what's happening
> in the logs. If my configs are needed let me know which and I can
> sanitize them before passing them on.
>
> Thanks.
> Dave.

> !DSPAM:1,52f99ba338521459417539!

Re: [Dspam-user] DSPAM and dovecot antispam not training

Erwan David
On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 04:27:45AM CET, David Mehler <[hidden email]> said:

> Hello to everyone,
>
> I'm a new member. I'm trying to get DSPAM going with my existing mail
> server as spam is becoming to much and existing measures are slipping.
>
> I'm running a Fedora 17 vps, postfix 2.9, dovecot 2.1, DSPAM 3.10, and
> MySQL 5.5. My users are all virtual and are stored in the MySQL
> database. The software with the exception of dovecot-antispam was
> installed from rpm packages, dovecot-antispam was compiled from
> source.
>
> My setup is working in that a virtual user can log in to the email
> server, for example via webmail, and forward either a spam or a
> notspam message to spam or ham at the domain. I do not see any
> evidence of this in the maillog, as dspam is not logging anything, but
> the size of the MySQL database increases with each submission via
> email.
>
> That works, but is slow. What I want to do is select every message in
> a folder that's spam, and move them to the spam folder, automatically
> training DSPAM. This doesn't happen, the messages move to the spam
> folder actually it's Spam, on the system the folder size increases and
> the message is there, but no increase in database size. Again nothing
> in the logs.

I do not think database should grow since words are already in the
database.  What convinced me my installation worked was the fact I saw
the mail as retrained (or failed) in the web interface.

Re: [Dspam-user] DSPAM and dovecot antispam not training

Tom Hendrikx
On 02/11/2014 08:10 AM, Erwan David wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 04:27:45AM CET, David Mehler <[hidden email]> said:
>> Hello to everyone,
>>
>> I'm a new member. I'm trying to get DSPAM going with my existing mail
>> server as spam is becoming to much and existing measures are slipping.
>>
>> I'm running a Fedora 17 vps, postfix 2.9, dovecot 2.1, DSPAM 3.10, and
>> MySQL 5.5. My users are all virtual and are stored in the MySQL
>> database. The software with the exception of dovecot-antispam was
>> installed from rpm packages, dovecot-antispam was compiled from
>> source.
>>
>> My setup is working in that a virtual user can log in to the email
>> server, for example via webmail, and forward either a spam or a
>> notspam message to spam or ham at the domain. I do not see any
>> evidence of this in the maillog, as dspam is not logging anything, but
>> the size of the MySQL database increases with each submission via
>> email.
>>
>> That works, but is slow. What I want to do is select every message in
>> a folder that's spam, and move them to the spam folder, automatically
>> training DSPAM. This doesn't happen, the messages move to the spam
>> folder actually it's Spam, on the system the folder size increases and
>> the message is there, but no increase in database size. Again nothing
>> in the logs.
>
> I do not think database should grow since words are already in the
> database.  What convinced me my installation worked was the fact I saw
> the mail as retrained (or failed) in the web interface.

Easiest way to verify whether a message was retrained, is by (enabling
and) consulting the SystemLog and/or UserLog. Another way would be to
check dspam_stats output before and after the retrain action.

Tom

Re: [Dspam-user] DSPAM and dovecot antispam not training

Wicher Minnaard
Hello,

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 4:27 AM, David Mehler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm running a Fedora 17 vps, postfix 2.9, dovecot 2.1, DSPAM 3.10, and
> MySQL 5.5. My users are all virtual and are stored in the MySQL
> database. The software with the exception of dovecot-antispam was
> installed from rpm packages, dovecot-antispam was compiled from
> source.
>
> My setup is working in that a virtual user can log in to the email
> server, for example via webmail, and forward either a spam or a
> notspam message to spam or ham at the domain.

Since you're using Dovecot, have you had a look at
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/Antispam ?
Moving mail to a special IMAP folder is a much better flagging
mechanism than forwarding emails, in my opinion. So unless you're
using POP3...
Revisions past 7f94cc6b4d8e may not work on dovecot > 2.1.

Regards, Wicher