[Dspam-user] Dspam with multiple MX

FABIO FERRARI
Hello,

I need to install an antispam on a multiple mx mail system.

I mean, incoming emails are received from 4 MX and then forwarded to the
mail system. Actually we have a spam system (sophos) on these 4 MX, with a
centralized DB and a centralized web interface. We want to replace this
system with dspam.

So, the question is: is it possible to have a single DB where the 4
machines connect to store the spam data? For example installing mysql or
postgres on a separate, additional machine?

I see that, even if I configure dspam with mysql or postgres, dspam stores
some data in files anyway (in /var/spool/dspam/data/). Is it correct or am
I missing something?
If I am correct with this configuration, can I put this directory in a
shared nfs directory for example? Will this work?

Has someone any experience in doing this?

thanks in advance

Fabio Ferrari

Re: [Dspam-user] Dspam with multiple MX

Tom Hendrikx

Hi,

If you use an sql server as backend including storing user
preferences, the files that are in /var/spool/dspam are only relevant
for the dspam web interface. If you're not using that, the data is
rather useless.

Not using the web interface also means not using quarantine. The 4 MXs
could reject spam at SMTP-time, or tag spam messages (headers or
subject) so the main server can put them in a junk folder.

This way a master sql server should be no issue. I don't have any
experience with workload for the sql server when you have the volume
that is implied by needing 4 frontend machines. You might need
multiple sql instances in replication mode.

Tom

On 06-06-14 12:26, FABIO FERRARI wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need to install an antispam on a multiple mx mail system.
>
> I mean, incoming emails are received from 4 MX and then forwarded
> to the mail system. Actually we have a spam system (sophos) on
> these 4 MX, with a centralized DB and a centralized web interface.
> We want to replace this system with dspam.
>
> So, the question is: is it possible to have a single DB where the
> 4 machines connect to store the spam data? For example installing
> mysql or postgres on a separate, additional machine?
>
> I see that, even if I configure dspam with mysql or postgres, dspam
> stores some data in files anyway (in /var/spool/dspam/data/). Is it
> correct or am I missing something? If I am correct with this
> configuration, can I put this directory in a shared nfs directory
> for example? Will this work?
>
> Has someone any experience in doing this?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Fabio Ferrari

> "Graph Databases" is the definitive new guide to graph databases
> and their applications. Written by three acclaimed leaders in the
> field, this first edition is now available. Download your free book
> today! http://p.sf.net/sfu/NeoTech

Re: [Dspam-user] Dspam with multiple MX

FABIO FERRARI
Yes, we absolutely need the web interface.

What happens in this case?

Fabio Ferrari

> Hi,
>
> If you use an sql server as backend including storing user
> preferences, the files that are in /var/spool/dspam are only relevant
> for the dspam web interface. If you're not using that, the data is
> rather useless.
>
> Not using the web interface also means not using quarantine. The 4 MXs
> could reject spam at SMTP-time, or tag spam messages (headers or
> subject) so the main server can put them in a junk folder.
>
> This way a master sql server should be no issue. I don't have any
> experience with workload for the sql server when you have the volume
> that is implied by needing 4 frontend machines. You might need
> multiple sql instances in replication mode.
>
> Tom
>
> On 06-06-14 12:26, FABIO FERRARI wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I need to install an antispam on a multiple mx mail system.
>>
>> I mean, incoming emails are received from 4 MX and then forwarded
>> to the mail system. Actually we have a spam system (sophos) on
>> these 4 MX, with a centralized DB and a centralized web interface.
>> We want to replace this system with dspam.
>>
>> So, the question is: is it possible to have a single DB where the
>> 4 machines connect to store the spam data? For example installing
>> mysql or postgres on a separate, additional machine?
>>
>> I see that, even if I configure dspam with mysql or postgres, dspam
>> stores some data in files anyway (in /var/spool/dspam/data/). Is it
>> correct or am I missing something? If I am correct with this
>> configuration, can I put this directory in a shared nfs directory
>> for example? Will this work?
>>
>> Has someone any experience in doing this?
>>
>> thanks in advance
>>
>> Fabio Ferrari

>> "Graph Databases" is the definitive new guide to graph databases
>> and their applications. Written by three acclaimed leaders in the
>> field, this first edition is now available. Download your free book
>> today! http://p.sf.net/sfu/NeoTech

Re: [Dspam-user] Dspam with multiple MX

Tom Hendrikx

Hi,

Then the data needs to be shared among all the boxes that need the data
(i.e. MTAs and web servers). I don't have any experience with that, but
other users might be able to tell you more. The list archives also have
some discussions on this, I think.

Tom

On 06/08/2014 03:34 PM, FABIO FERRARI wrote:

> Yes, we absolutely need the web interface.
>
> What happens in this case?
>
> Fabio Ferrari
>

> Hi,
>
> If you use an sql server as backend including storing user
> preferences, the files that are in /var/spool/dspam are only relevant
> for the dspam web interface. If you're not using that, the data is
> rather useless.
>
> Not using the web interface also means not using quarantine. The 4 MXs
> could reject spam at SMTP-time, or tag spam messages (headers or
> subject) so the main server can put them in a junk folder.
>
> This way a master sql server should be no issue. I don't have any
> experience with workload for the sql server when you have the volume
> that is implied by needing 4 frontend machines. You might need
> multiple sql instances in replication mode.
>
> Tom

Re: [Dspam-user] Dspam with multiple MX

Marco
> Hello,
>
> I need to install an antispam on a multiple mx mail system.

We use a single mysql db, and a nfs for /var/lib/dspam (dspam Home).
No problem.
But we don't use quarantine or web interface for end users, only IMAP
spam folders.

Regards
Marco