[Dspam-user] Fresh install of Dspam - if used as a gateway do I need to install a mail server on it

[Dspam-user] Fresh install of Dspam - if used as a gateway do I need to install a mail server on it

Joe Magueta

Hi all.

I want to try dspam and I’m using an Exchange Server. I would like to set dspam up as a gateway to filter the email before it gets to the mail server so I’m installing it in a virtual machine with Ubuntu and I’m not sure if I need to install a mail server at all on the virtual machine in order to run dspam as a gateway filter. I have googled and not been able to find anything. I did find something with the heading “[Dspam-user] using dpsam without a mail server” but nothing comes up, it seems Sourceforge is down for a while.

Any help?

Thanks

Joe

Re: [Dspam-user] Fresh install of Dspam - if used as a gateway do I need to install a mail server on it

Denis Igorevich Lobanov
Someone more knowledgable with dspam can correct me here, but AFAIK..

> I want to try dspam and I'm using an Exchange Server. I would like to set dspam up as a gateway to filter the email before it gets to the mail server so I'm installing it in a virtual machine with Ubuntu and I'm not sure if I need to install a mail server at all on the virtual machine in order to run dspam as a gateway filter. I have googled and not been able to find anything. I did find something with the heading "[Dspam-user] using dpsam without a mail server" but nothing comes up, it seems Sourceforge is down for a while.

Make sure you can forward 127.0.0.1 traffic between the VM/Host that Exchange
is running on and your dspam VM.

Configure ServerPort to be the inet socket port Exchange will use to check
emails or pass on to a MDA. Dont forget about SererHost, and ServerMode.

Configure DeliveryPort to be the inet port you want dspam to deliver
good/spam-marked-as-spam email to the MDA/back to Exchange (if you use some
form of re-injection).

Essentially, Im hacking this postfix->dspam->dovecot configuration to work as
Exchange->dspam->Exchange/MDA
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/Virtual%2BPostfix%2BDspam%2BDovecot

Denis

Re: [Dspam-user] Fresh install of Dspam - if used as a gateway do I need to install a mail server on it

Joe Magueta-2
Hi Denis.

Thank you for replying. Now that I read your response and my post I realize that I was unclear about the virtualization aspect. I would definitely like to have an Internet-> Dspam filtering-> exchange type of setup so as to not add load and I guess reduce load on the Exchange server. What I forgot to mention was that I have a separate machine on which I have installed Oracle's VirtualBox and would like to install Ubuntu (or any other flavour if it's easier or better :) ) and then Dspam that is then configured to filter and forward to the exchange server. Also, I should mention that while I'm not new to Linux I am a newbie when it comes to Dspam. I haven't found something like an administration manual that I can digest so I'm still unclear on how the mail gets routed through Dspam and I'm unsure about whether I need to install a mail server (I believe it's postfix by default on Ubuntu) for Dspam to function or will it work if I install the prerequisites which as I understand are essentially the LAMP stack. However, I have no problems or resource restrictions installing the mail server. My guess is that this is a very basic question that most people in this mailing list already know.

My understanding of your reply and the link you provided (very helpful) is that Dspam does require a mail server for routing the email to Dspam to process then passes it back to the mail server for relaying (in this case) i.e. internet-> MailServerA-> Dspam-> MailServerA-> MailServerB where

MailServerA = Postfix
MallserverB = Exchange

And in my case everything between the internet and MailServerB is on the same machine (my virtual machine in this case). Traffic on 127.0.0.1 should be allowed so that Dspam and mail server A can pass emails back and forth. The ServerPort is the port on MailServerA that receives mail from the internet which would probably be 25 and the DeliveryPort is anything we want it to be but it's the port configured on MailServerB to receive email sent to it from MailServerA
Have I read it correctly?

I have found the documentation in the Dspam download that is quite helpful but if anyone knows of any other documentation in more of a Dspam for dummies format rather than the How-To format I would appreciate it if you could let me know where it is. :)

Thanks

Joe

Re: [Dspam-user] Fresh install of Dspam - if used as a gateway do I need to install a mail server on it

Denis Igorevich Lobanov
Hi Joe,

> What I forgot to mention was that I have a separate machine on which I have installed Oracle's VirtualBox and would like to install Ubuntu (or any other flavour if it's easier or better :) ) and then Dspam that is then configured to filter and forward to the exchange server.

If you want to use a separate machine entirely to act as a spam filter /before/
the exchange server, you will need to set up postfix+dspam. I would have dspam
called as a milter (content_filter param) and re-inject back into postfix for
SMTP delivery to the exchange server.

> I haven't found something like an administration manual that I can digest so I'm still unclear on how the mail gets routed through Dspam and I'm unsure about whether I need to install a mail server (I believe it's postfix by default on Ubuntu) for Dspam to function

You will need something like postfix in front of dspam, I dont know much about
how Exchange servers work but if that server is just treated as an isolated
final destination for mail, something will need to be in front of dspam to
handle mail on port 25, etc..

> My understanding of your reply and the link you provided (very helpful) is that Dspam does require a mail server for routing the email to Dspam to process then passes it back to the mail server for relaying (in this case) i.e. internet-> MailServerA-> Dspam-> MailServerA-> MailServerB where
>
> MailServerA = Postfix
> MallserverB = Exchange
>
> And in my case everything between the internet and MailServerB is on the same machine (my virtual machine in this case). Traffic on 127.0.0.1 should be allowed so that Dspam and mail server A can pass emails back and forth. The ServerPort is the port on MailServerA that receives mail from the internet which would probably be 25 and the DeliveryPort is anything we want it to be but it's the port configured on MailServerB to receive email sent to it from MailServerA
> Have I read it correctly?

Yes, entirely.

> I have found the documentation in the Dspam download that is quite helpful but if anyone knows of any other documentation in more of a Dspam for dummies format rather than the How-To format I would appreciate it if you could let me know where it is. :)

http://wiki.linuxwall.info/doku.php/en:ressources:dossiers:dspam#using_the_postgresql_driver
http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_Spam_Filtering_with_DSPAM_and_Postfix

The first link there I have found to be /extremely/ helpful :)

Denis

Re: [Dspam-user] Fresh install of Dspam - if used as a gateway do I need to install a mail server on it

Joe Magueta-2
Thank you Denis.

You've definitely helped me get on my way. The documentation is exactly what I was looking for.

Cheers.

Joe

> What I forgot to mention was that I have a separate machine on which I have installed Oracle's VirtualBox and would like to install Ubuntu (or any other flavour if it's easier or better :) ) and then Dspam that is then configured to filter and forward to the exchange server.

If you want to use a separate machine entirely to act as a spam filter /before/ the exchange server, you will need to set up postfix+dspam. I would have dspam called as a milter (content_filter param) and re-inject back into postfix for SMTP delivery to the exchange server.

> I haven't found something like an administration manual that I can
> digest so I'm still unclear on how the mail gets routed through Dspam
> and I'm unsure about whether I need to install a mail server (I
> believe it's postfix by default on Ubuntu) for Dspam to function

You will need something like postfix in front of dspam, I dont know much about how Exchange servers work but if that server is just treated as an isolated final destination for mail, something will need to be in front of dspam to handle mail on port 25, etc..

> My understanding of your reply and the link you provided (very
> helpful) is that Dspam does require a mail server for routing the
> email to Dspam to process then passes it back to the mail server for
> relaying (in this case) i.e. internet-> MailServerA-> Dspam->
> MailServerA-> MailServerB where
>
> MailServerA = Postfix
> MallserverB = Exchange
>
> And in my case everything between the internet and MailServerB is on
> the same machine (my virtual machine in this case). Traffic on 127.0.0.1 should be allowed so that Dspam and mail server A can pass emails back and forth. The ServerPort is the port on MailServerA that receives mail from the internet which would probably be 25 and the DeliveryPort is anything we want it to be but it's the port configured on MailServerB to receive email sent to it from MailServerA Have I read it correctly?

Yes, entirely.

> I have found the documentation in the Dspam download that is quite
> helpful but if anyone knows of any other documentation in more of a
> Dspam for dummies format rather than the How-To format I would
> appreciate it if you could let me know where it is. :)

http://wiki.linuxwall.info/doku.php/en:ressources:dossiers:dspam#using_the_postgresql_driver
http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_Spam_Filtering_with_DSPAM_and_Postfix

The first link there I have found to be /extremely/ helpful :)

Denis

Download BIRT iHub F-Type - The Free Enterprise-Grade BIRT Server from Actuate! Instantly Supercharge Your Business Reports and Dashboards with Interactivity, Sharing, Native Excel Exports, App Integration & more Get technology previously reserved for billion-dollar corporations, FREE http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=157005751&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk