[Dspam-user] Strange slowdown under load

[Dspam-user] Strange slowdown under load

grant@i-c.net
I'm experiencing an issue I can't resolve and wondered if anyone knew
of something else that I can do to get this fixed. Basically during high
load, dspam grinds to a halt.

When this issue occurs I can read/write to the mysql database just fine
(recently purged the database), read/write to the nfs share that's
hosting the emails, and the systems don't seem to be having any sort of
performance issues. I recently upgraded to the latest version and the
issue seems to still happen.

Here is where the issue occurs in the log file after running: dspam
--debug --user grant --deliver=innocent <testmsg

13935: [06/20/2014 11:57:04]  -> found attribute 'Home' with value
'/etc/mail/dspam/'
13935: [06/20/2014 11:57:04]  -> read attribute 'Home' with value
'/etc/mail/dspam/'
13935: [06/20/2014 12:30:04] appending header X-DSPAM-Result: Whitelisted
13935: [06/20/2014 12:30:04] appending header X-DSPAM-Processed: Fri Jun
13935: [06/20/2014 12:30:04] appending header X-DSPAM-Confidence: 0.9893

As you can see, somewhere along the line between reading the attribute
Home and appending the header it takes over 30 minutes. I tried looking
at the code but I'm not proficient enough in it to figure it out.
Anyone have an idea as to what's happening here? This issue started a
couple weeks ago. Thanks.

Re: [Dspam-user] Strange slowdown under load

Troy Ayers
I don't have much to offer, but it sounds like some kind of resource
restraint, possibly in mysql.

Can you login to mysql, as the same user that spam uses, when the issue
happens?

I expect someone will ask for more specifics of how your setup goes.
Perhaps with that information someone would be able to offer up some
better suggestions.

-Troy

On 6/25/2014 10:22 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I'm experiencing an issue I can't resolve and wondered if anyone knew
> of something else that I can do to get this fixed. Basically during high
> load, dspam grinds to a halt.
>
> When this issue occurs I can read/write to the mysql database just fine
> (recently purged the database), read/write to the nfs share that's
> hosting the emails, and the systems don't seem to be having any sort of
> performance issues. I recently upgraded to the latest version and the
> issue seems to still happen.
>
> Here is where the issue occurs in the log file after running: dspam
> --debug --user grant --deliver=innocent <testmsg
>
> 13935: [06/20/2014 11:57:04]  -> found attribute 'Home' with value
> '/etc/mail/dspam/'
> 13935: [06/20/2014 11:57:04]  -> read attribute 'Home' with value
> '/etc/mail/dspam/'
> 13935: [06/20/2014 12:30:04] appending header X-DSPAM-Result: Whitelisted
> 13935: [06/20/2014 12:30:04] appending header X-DSPAM-Processed: Fri Jun
> 13935: [06/20/2014 12:30:04] appending header X-DSPAM-Confidence: 0.9893
>
> As you can see, somewhere along the line between reading the attribute
> Home and appending the header it takes over 30 minutes. I tried looking
> at the code but I'm not proficient enough in it to figure it out.
> Anyone have an idea as to what's happening here? This issue started a
> couple weeks ago. Thanks.

Re: [Dspam-user] Strange slowdown under load

Phil Stracchino
>> I'm experiencing an issue I can't resolve and wondered if anyone knew
>> of something else that I can do to get this fixed. Basically during high
>> load, dspam grinds to a halt.
>>
>> When this issue occurs I can read/write to the mysql database just fine
>> (recently purged the database), read/write to the nfs share that's
>> hosting the emails, and the systems don't seem to be having any sort of
>> performance issues. I recently upgraded to the latest version and the
>> issue seems to still happen.
>>
>> Here is where the issue occurs in the log file after running: dspam
>> --debug --user grant --deliver=innocent <testmsg
>>
>> 13935: [06/20/2014 11:57:04]  -> found attribute 'Home' with value
>> '/etc/mail/dspam/'
>> 13935: [06/20/2014 11:57:04]  -> read attribute 'Home' with value
>> '/etc/mail/dspam/'
>> 13935: [06/20/2014 12:30:04] appending header X-DSPAM-Result: Whitelisted
>> 13935: [06/20/2014 12:30:04] appending header X-DSPAM-Processed: Fri Jun
>> 13935: [06/20/2014 12:30:04] appending header X-DSPAM-Confidence: 0.9893
>>
>> As you can see, somewhere along the line between reading the attribute
>> Home and appending the header it takes over 30 minutes. I tried looking
>> at the code but I'm not proficient enough in it to figure it out.
>> Anyone have an idea as to what's happening here? This issue started a
>> couple weeks ago. Thanks.

1.  Have you checked your database tuning?  If you haven't, download
mysqltuner and run it to get a basic idea of what general shape youre
in.  Get it from http://mysqltuner.pl/mysqltuner.pl

2.  What table type are you using?  If you're using MyISAM tables,
convert them all to InnoDB and retune accordingly.  MyISAM is, frankly,
obsolete and should not be used in any production capacity if you can
avoid it.

(Note:  DO NOT convert the grant tables - the 'mysql' schema - to
InnoDB.  MySQL cannot YET start up correctly with its grant tables in
InnoDB.  As soon as it *can*, expect MyISAM to be deprecated.)

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications