[Dspam-user] attachment stripped

Eric Broch
Hello list,

I installed DSPAM on a server and recently attachments are being
stripped from email. At present I haven't been able to track down the
source of this problem. I don't think it is the case that DSPAM would
strip anything out of an email but wanted to ask on this list if this is
a possibility.

Eric

Re: [Dspam-user] attachment stripped

Phil Stracchino
On 04/28/14 11:18, Eric Broch wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I installed DSPAM on a server and recently attachments are being
> stripped from email. At present I haven't been able to track down the
> source of this problem. I don't think it is the case that DSPAM would
> strip anything out of an email but wanted to ask on this list if this is
> a possibility.

DSpam does not strip attachments.  That's not its job.  Something else
is doing it.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications

On 4/28/2014 9:50 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> On 04/28/14 11:18, Eric Broch wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I installed DSPAM on a server and recently attachments are being
>> stripped from email. At present I haven't been able to track down the
>> source of this problem. I don't think it is the case that DSPAM would
>> strip anything out of an email but wanted to ask on this list if this is
>> a possibility.
> DSpam does not strip attachments.  That's not its job.  Something else
> is doing it.

Phil (and others),

I know this has been a while, but DSPAM (dspamc), I'm pretty sure, is
the culprit.

I have a test email from one of my clients that was truncated when DSPAM
was enabled and not-truncated when DSPAM was disabled.
I pulled this email (the pristine one) over to a test machine and ran
the following 2 commands on this test email, the difference being one
command calls 'dspamc' and the other calls 'dspam.'

1) # cat 'email' | dspamc --user user@domain --stdout
--deliver=innocent,spam
2) # cat 'email' | dspam --user user@domain --stdout --deliver=innocent,spam

The first command truncated the email output, and the second did not.

My conclusion is that there is something wrong with 'dspamc' though I
could be wrong.

I also noted that it was NOT stripping attachments but truncating the
message in the body of the email specifically on a '.' (period) on a
line by itself in the 'mark up' portion of the email.

I'm going to grab another email culprit and test it to see if the
problem is consistent.

I know that the DSPAM project is supposed to be KO'ed but I know there
are people still using it.

ktm@rice.edu
On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 08:58:03AM -0600, Eric Broch wrote:

> On 4/28/2014 9:50 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> > On 04/28/14 11:18, Eric Broch wrote:
> >> Hello list,
> >>
> >> I installed DSPAM on a server and recently attachments are being
> >> stripped from email. At present I haven't been able to track down the
> >> source of this problem. I don't think it is the case that DSPAM would
> >> strip anything out of an email but wanted to ask on this list if this is
> >> a possibility.
> > DSpam does not strip attachments.  That's not its job.  Something else
> > is doing it.
> >

> Phil (and others),
>
> I know this has been a while, but DSPAM (dspamc), I'm pretty sure, is
> the culprit.
>
> I have a test email from one of my clients that was truncated when DSPAM
> was enabled and not-truncated when DSPAM was disabled.
> I pulled this email (the pristine one) over to a test machine and ran
> the following 2 commands on this test email, the difference being one
> command calls 'dspamc' and the other calls 'dspam.'
>
> 1) # cat 'email' | dspamc --user user@domain --stdout
> --deliver=innocent,spam
> 2) # cat 'email' | dspam --user user@domain --stdout --deliver=innocent,spam
>
> The first command truncated the email output, and the second did not.
>
> My conclusion is that there is something wrong with 'dspamc' though I
> could be wrong.
>
> I also noted that it was NOT stripping attachments but truncating the
> message in the body of the email specifically on a '.' (period) on a
> line by itself in the 'mark up' portion of the email.
>
> I'm going to grab another email culprit and test it to see if the
> problem is consistent.
>
> I know that the DSPAM project is supposed to be KO'ed but I know there
> are people still using it.
>
> Eric

Hi Eric,

What version of DSPAM are you running?

Regards,
Ken

On 8/30/2014 9:59 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
[...]

Hi Ken,

Thanks for responding. I'm running dspam-3.10.2-4.el5 on a client's server installed from EPEL, and on my own server the same version installed according to this tutorial. The truncation of email occurs on both servers.

Eric

Re: [Dspam-user] attachment stripped

Tom Hendrikx

On 30-08-14 16:58, Eric Broch wrote:

> On 4/28/2014 9:50 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> On 04/28/14 11:18, Eric Broch wrote:
>>> Hello list,
>>>
>>> I installed DSPAM on a server and recently attachments are
>>> being stripped from email. At present I haven't been able to
>>> track down the source of this problem. I don't think it is the
>>> case that DSPAM would strip anything out of an email but wanted
>>> to ask on this list if this is a possibility.
>> DSpam does not strip attachments.  That's not its job.  Something
>> else is doing it.
>>

> Phil (and others),
>
> I know this has been a while, but DSPAM (dspamc), I'm pretty sure,
> is the culprit.
>
> I have a test email from one of my clients that was truncated when
> DSPAM was enabled and not-truncated when DSPAM was disabled. I
> pulled this email (the pristine one) over to a test machine and
> ran the following 2 commands on this test email, the difference
> being one command calls 'dspamc' and the other calls 'dspam.'
>
> 1) # cat 'email' | dspamc --user user@domain --stdout
> --deliver=innocent,spam 2) # cat 'email' | dspam --user user@domain
> --stdout --deliver=innocent,spam
>
> The first command truncated the email output, and the second did
> not.

It would also be interesting to what 'dspam --client' does with this
email.

> My conclusion is that there is something wrong with 'dspamc' though
> I could be wrong.
>
> I also noted that it was NOT stripping attachments but truncating
> the message in the body of the email specifically on a '.' (period)
> on a line by itself in the 'mark up' portion of the email.

There have been reports on problems with dot stuffing in the past.
It's a lot more logical that you're seeing those problems too, and not
something related to your attachment.

On 8/30/2014 10:50 AM, Tom Hendrikx wrote:
On 30-08-14 16:58, Eric Broch wrote:
> On 4/28/2014 9:50 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> On 04/28/14 11:18, Eric Broch wrote:
>>> Hello list,
>>>
>>> I installed DSPAM on a server and recently attachments are
>>> being stripped from email. At present I haven't been able to
>>> track down the source of this problem. I don't think it is the
>>> case that DSPAM would strip anything out of an email but wanted
>>> to ask on this list if this is a possibility.
>> DSpam does not strip attachments.  That's not its job.  Something
>> else is doing it.
>>

> Phil (and others),

> I know this has been a while, but DSPAM (dspamc), I'm pretty sure,
> is the culprit.

> I have a test email from one of my clients that was truncated when
> DSPAM was enabled and not-truncated when DSPAM was disabled. I
> pulled this email (the pristine one) over to a test machine and
> ran the following 2 commands on this test email, the difference
> being one command calls 'dspamc' and the other calls 'dspam.'

> 1) # cat 'email' | dspamc --user user@domain --stdout
> --deliver=innocent,spam 2) # cat 'email' | dspam --user user@domain
> --stdout --deliver=innocent,spam

> The first command truncated the email output, and the second did
> not.

It would also be interesting to what 'dspam --client' does with this
email.

> My conclusion is that there is something wrong with 'dspamc' though
> I could be wrong.

> I also noted that it was NOT stripping attachments but truncating
> the message in the body of the email specifically on a '.' (period)
> on a line by itself in the 'mark up' portion of the email.

There have been reports on problems with dot stuffing in the past.
It's a lot more logical that you're seeing those problems too, and not
something related to your attachment.

> I'm going to grab another email culprit and test it to see if the
> problem is consistent.

> I know that the DSPAM project is supposed to be KO'ed but I know
> there are people still using it.

> Eric

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply.

The following command:
# cat 'email' | dspam --client --user user@domain --stdout --deliver=innocent,spam
also truncates the email.

Eric

Re: [Dspam-user] attachment stripped

Stevan Bajić
Hallo Eric,

can you send me the email in question?

Cheers,

Stevan

On 8/30/2014 12:54 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 10:43:48AM -0600, Eric Broch wrote:
>>> Hi Eric,
>>>
>>> What version of DSPAM are you running?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Ken
>> Hi Ken,
>>
>> Thanks for responding. I'm running dspam-3.10.2-4.el5 on a client's
>> server installed from EPEL, and on my own server the same version
>> installed according to this <https://qmail.jms1.net/dspam/> tutorial.
>> The truncation of email occurs on both servers.
>>
>> Eric
> I see that there was a bug report for 3.9.0 but it looks like it should
> have been fixed. Are you configured to put the DSPAM signature in the
> message, or are just adding the X-DSPAM headers? We have definitely had
> that problem with the former, but do not have truncated attachments when
> using headers only, bounce training in the webui.
>
> Ken

Ken,

I'm adding the X-DSPAM headers, and, I believe, the only reason the
attachments are being truncated is because the program is truncating
from a certain point in the email body to the end of the email, which
includes the attachments.

Eric

Re: [Dspam-user] attachment stripped

Eric Broch
Hi Stevan,

I must check with my client and the sender first, but I'm sure it will be okay with them. I'll let you know.

Eric

On 8/30/2014 11:56 AM, Stevan Bajić wrote:
Hallo Eric,

can you send me the email in question?

Cheers,

Stevan

On 8/30/2014 10:50 AM, Tom Hendrikx wrote:
On 30-08-14 16:58, Eric Broch wrote:
> On 4/28/2014 9:50 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> On 04/28/14 11:18, Eric Broch wrote:
>>> Hello list,
>>>
>>> I installed DSPAM on a server and recently attachments are
>>> being stripped from email. At present I haven't been able to
>>> track down the source of this problem. I don't think it is the
>>> case that DSPAM would strip anything out of an email but wanted
>>> to ask on this list if this is a possibility.
>> DSpam does not strip attachments.  That's not its job.  Something
>> else is doing it.
>>

> Phil (and others),

> I know this has been a while, but DSPAM (dspamc), I'm pretty sure,
> is the culprit.

> I have a test email from one of my clients that was truncated when
> DSPAM was enabled and not-truncated when DSPAM was disabled. I
> pulled this email (the pristine one) over to a test machine and
> ran the following 2 commands on this test email, the difference
> being one command calls 'dspamc' and the other calls 'dspam.'

> 1) # cat 'email' | dspamc --user user@domain --stdout
> --deliver=innocent,spam 2) # cat 'email' | dspam --user user@domain
> --stdout --deliver=innocent,spam

> The first command truncated the email output, and the second did
> not.

It would also be interesting to what 'dspam --client' does with this
email.

> My conclusion is that there is something wrong with 'dspamc' though
> I could be wrong.

> I also noted that it was NOT stripping attachments but truncating
> the message in the body of the email specifically on a '.' (period)
> on a line by itself in the 'mark up' portion of the email.

There have been reports on problems with dot stuffing in the past.
It's a lot more logical that you're seeing those problems too, and not
something related to your attachment.

> I'm going to grab another email culprit and test it to see if the
> problem is consistent.

> I know that the DSPAM project is supposed to be KO'ed but I know
> there are people still using it.

> Eric

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply.

The following command:
# cat 'email' | dspam --client --user user@domain --stdout --deliver=innocent,spam
also truncates the email.

Eric

Re: [Dspam-user] attachment stripped

Eric Broch
Hi Stevan,

I sent the email you requested to your private email account in a zip file.

Thanks!

Eric

On 8/30/2014 11:56 AM, Stevan Bajić wrote:
Hallo Eric,

can you send me the email in question?

Cheers,

Stevan

On 8/30/2014 10:50 AM, Tom Hendrikx wrote:
On 30-08-14 16:58, Eric Broch wrote:
> On 4/28/2014 9:50 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> On 04/28/14 11:18, Eric Broch wrote:
>>> Hello list,
>>>
>>> I installed DSPAM on a server and recently attachments are
>>> being stripped from email. At present I haven't been able to
>>> track down the source of this problem. I don't think it is the
>>> case that DSPAM would strip anything out of an email but wanted
>>> to ask on this list if this is a possibility.
>> DSpam does not strip attachments.  That's not its job.  Something
>> else is doing it.
>>

> Phil (and others),

> I know this has been a while, but DSPAM (dspamc), I'm pretty sure,
> is the culprit.

> I have a test email from one of my clients that was truncated when
> DSPAM was enabled and not-truncated when DSPAM was disabled. I
> pulled this email (the pristine one) over to a test machine and
> ran the following 2 commands on this test email, the difference
> being one command calls 'dspamc' and the other calls 'dspam.'

> 1) # cat 'email' | dspamc --user user@domain --stdout
> --deliver=innocent,spam 2) # cat 'email' | dspam --user user@domain
> --stdout --deliver=innocent,spam

> The first command truncated the email output, and the second did
> not.

It would also be interesting to what 'dspam --client' does with this
email.

> My conclusion is that there is something wrong with 'dspamc' though
> I could be wrong.

> I also noted that it was NOT stripping attachments but truncating
> the message in the body of the email specifically on a '.' (period)
> on a line by itself in the 'mark up' portion of the email.

There have been reports on problems with dot stuffing in the past.
It's a lot more logical that you're seeing those problems too, and not
something related to your attachment.

> I'm going to grab another email culprit and test it to see if the
> problem is consistent.

> I know that the DSPAM project is supposed to be KO'ed but I know
> there are people still using it.

> Eric

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply.

The following command:
# cat 'email' | dspam --client --user user@domain --stdout --deliver=innocent,spam
also truncates the email.

Eric

Re: [Dspam-user] attachment stripped

Stevan Bajić
On 02.09.2014 23:59, Eric Broch wrote:
Hi Stevan,

Hello Eric,

I sent the email you requested to your private email account in a zip file.

I got the mail. Tested the result with normal "dspam" and with "dspamc" and with "dspam --client". Using plain old "dspam" worked flawlessly while using "dspamc" and "dspam --client" resulted in stripping data from the mail.

Looking at the mail source the error occurred at line 3 (line numbering added by me):

001 has low airflow of 92 cfm for exhaust down low which equates to .4 cfm/ft2=
002 .
003 <b>I suggest that this ducting be modified before I return. Another low duc=

So it is clearly a dot stuffing issue. I don't know who is to blame here. Usually the client/sender is supposed to do the dot stuffing. The 'cut' command is not intelligent enough to do this. A small SED command however could do that:
( sed '/^$/q' 'email' ; echo ; sed '1,/^$/d' 'email' | sed 's:^\.$:..:g' ) | dspamc --user user@domain --stdout --deliver=innocent,spam

I don't know how to intelligently catch this issue in the code (it has been a while since I looked or touched the code). IMHO piping data to the DSPAM binary should not suffer from this dot stuffing. If you would send that directly to LMTP/DLMTP socket then I would say that it is clearly your problem but piping? I don't know.

Thanks!

Eric

--
 Kind Regards from Switzerland,

 Stevan Bajić

On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 01:47:59PM +0200, Stevan Bajić wrote:

> On 02.09.2014 23:59, Eric Broch wrote:
> >Hi Stevan,
> >
> Hello Eric,
>

> >I sent the email you requested to your private email account in a
> >zip file.
> >
> I got the mail. Tested the result with normal "dspam" and with
> "dspamc" and with "dspam --client". Using plain old "dspam" worked
> flawlessly while using "dspamc" and "dspam --client" resulted in
> stripping data from the mail.
>
> Looking at the mail source the error occurred at line 3 (line
> numbering added by me):
>
> 001 has low airflow of 92 cfm for exhaust down low which equates to
> .4 cfm/ft2=
> 002 .
> 003 <b>I suggest that this ducting be modified before I return.
> Another low duc=
>
> So it is clearly a dot stuffing issue. I don't know who is to blame
> here. Usually the client/sender is supposed to do the dot stuffing.
> The 'cut' command is not intelligent enough to do this. A small SED
> command however could do that:
> ( sed '/^$/q' 'email' ; echo ; sed '1,/^$/d' 'email' | sed
> 's:^\.$:..:g' ) | dspamc --user user@domain --stdout
> --deliver=innocent,spam
>
> I don't know how to intelligently catch this issue in the code (it
> has been a while since I looked or touched the code). IMHO piping
> data to the DSPAM binary should not suffer from this dot stuffing.
> If you would send that directly to LMTP/DLMTP socket then I would
> say that it is clearly your problem but piping? I don't know.

Hi Stevan and Eric,

I agree that it is a dot-stuffing problem. Looking at the code for
dspamc, it calls client_process() just like dspam does so it seems like
it should be escaping the single period on the line as well. So definitely,
to work around this issue, use dspam and not dspamc or deliver to DSPAM
using LMTP. I will try to run it under a debugger and see if I can see
what is happening.

Regards,
Ken

Re: [Dspam-user] attachment stripped

Sabahattin Gucukoglu
On 3 Sep 2014, at 12:47, Stevan Bajić <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't know how to intelligently catch this issue in the code (it has been a while since I looked or touched the code). IMHO piping data to the DSPAM binary should not suffer from this dot stuffing. If you would send that directly to LMTP/DLMTP socket then I would say that it is clearly your problem but piping? I don't know.

Obviously, if the protocol is between the dspamc and dspamd programs, those should be fixed so that the pipe through the client is transparent to the user.  But if LMTP is employed by the user directly, he is responsible for dot-stuffing.  Nowadays every MTA implements LMTP correctly and this is always preferred.

Thanks for letting us know, anyway—I planned to use SQLite for my next project, which would have meant invoking dspam, directly.  So I will continue to do that for now.  IMHO the penalty of fork() these days is greatly overstated, but yes this should be properly fixed.

Re: [Dspam-user] attachment stripped

Eric Broch

Hello Ken and Stevan,

I've done some investigation and below you can see the offending line in the original email is line 002. Line 001 and line 003 are for context. Per Stevan.

001 has low airflow of 92 cfm for exhaust down low which equates to .4 cfm/ft2=
002 .
003 <b>I suggest that this ducting be modified before I return. Another low duc=

After the message is piped into dspamc it is processed by ‘client_process’ in the file client.c

Before the message is sent to the daemon ‘\r’ and ‘.’ are added where necessary.

At this point line 002 is stuffed with a ‘.’ as seen below:

001 has low airflow of 92 cfm for exhaust down low which equates to .4 cfm/ft2=
002 ..
003 <b>I suggest that this ducting be modified before I return. Another low duc=

The message is then sent to the daemon and received back.

Upon receiving the message back it is truncated after line 001.

When receiving the message back from the daemon, reception of the returned message terminates on 1 of 2 conditions: 1) A single line with a ‘.’ or 2) no more data from the daemon. In fact the daemon is removing the stuffed '.'.

The ‘while’ loop responsible for terminating reception of the message from the dspam daemon is coded in the following way: ‘while ( line != NULL && strcmp (line, ".") )’. I changed this code to ‘while ( line != NULL /* && strcmp (line, ".") */ )’ commenting out termination on the ‘.’ and received the full message back, line 002 back in its original form:

001 has low airflow of 92 cfm for exhaust down low which equates to .4 cfm/ft2=
002 .
003 <b>I suggest that this ducting be modified before I return. Another low duc=

Anyway, this is how things stand presently. I'm not sure how the daemon works but will investigate that as well.

Eric