[Dspam-user] dspam in an mail hosting environment

[Dspam-user] dspam in an mail hosting environment

ML mail
Hello,

I would like to use dspam as the unique anti-spam filtering method on a mail server (postfix+dovecot) which will host many domains and many mail user accounts. Having played a bit with dspam, I have the feeling dspam is not the best choice for such a non-homogenous environment. Would anyone still recommend using dspam in such an environment?

And if yes, which configuration parameters/options/features would you recommend to use? any tips?

Cheers,
ML

Re: [Dspam-user] dspam in an mail hosting environment

Stevan Bajić

Hello ML,

I use DSPAM in such an environment. Might I ask you why you think that DSPAM is not the best choice for such an environment?

btw: personally I believe that nothing is the best choice. Everything is good and bad.

--
Kind Regards from Switzerland,

Stevan Bajić

Am 2014-02-03 17:21, schrieb ML mail:

Hello,

I would like to use dspam as the unique anti-spam filtering method on a mail server (postfix+dovecot) which will host many domains and many mail user accounts. Having played a bit with dspam, I have the feeling dspam is not the best choice for such a non-homogenous environment. Would anyone still recommend using dspam in such an environment?

And if yes, which configuration parameters/options/features would you recommend to use? any tips?

Cheers,
ML

Re: [Dspam-user] dspam in an mail hosting environment

ML mail
Hi Stevan,

My main concern is that it does not work out of the box such as other anti-spam tools like spamassassin. What I mean here is that dspam needs to go through a phase of learning, which means that most of the users will receive for quite some time a certain amount of spam in their inboxes and will have to manually teach dspam (by drag&dropping the mail into the spam folder for example). This means that users will get annoyed and complain... some users are just lazy and will not do that and some users use POP3 protocol so don't even have the chance to move the mail to a spam folder.

A solution would be to have a a globaluser (using groups) with a shared spam/ham corpus which would have been trained beforehand. I have tested that but it doesn't work well at all because of a non-homogenous mail user accounts (for example one user account might receive a lot of pharma/meds mails related to his work whereas for another this would be spam).

Right now I did not find any working solutions to bootstrap dspam to a level where it would already minimize the spam received of every mail account. This is really my main issue. Once dspam personally trained I can see it is really working well but I really can't see all the users going through this process...

Any thoughts?

Regards,
ML

On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 3:22 PM, Stevan Bajić <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

you are right about the out of the box experience. A tool that is mainly rule based like SpamAssassin has an advantage over DSPAM in the beginning.

I have not the same opinion about groups as you. If you use a global user and train it properly you will not have issues where one would have pharma/meds mail while another user would have those classified as spam. The point is that normal pharma/meds mail are way to different than those pharma/meds mails used for spamming. The key here is to use one of the more sophisticated tokenizers (sbph or osb). I would be very much surprised if you would have a lot false positives/negatives. You wrote something about Dovecot. If you use the anti-spam plugin in Dovecot and maybe an sieve script that moves spam messages to the spam folder then users using IMAP will very quickly train DSPAM by just working with their email client.

In my experience most users have no more than one or two first days where they have to correct DSPAM until the engine picks up their mail habit. After that they have less and less FP/FN.

I could write a small docu how to setup that global user and how to train it. But I don't know when I have the time in the next days to do so. Let me know if you are interested and maybe if you could help me with it (my English is not the best).

--

Am 2014-02-04 15:45, schrieb ML mail:

[...]

Andrey

The same thing. We're successfully offer free anti-spam fitlering
service for our clients using separate dspam server in our ISP mail
(exim+dovecot) with virtual domains. In most cases accuracy of spam
detection more than 99%. So I definitely recommend it (but required good
configuration of the mail server sending to dspam). Although missed spam
is much more common that false positives and I have to retrain messages
often.

With regards, Andrey.

04.02.2014 18:13, Stevan Bajić пишет:

> Hello ML,
>
> I use DSPAM in such an environment. Might I ask you why you think that
> DSPAM is not the best choice for such an environment?
>
> btw: personally I believe that nothing is the best choice. Everything is
> good and bad.
>
> --
> Kind Regards from Switzerland,
>
> Stevan Bajić
>
> Am 2014-02-03 17:21, schrieb ML mail:
>
>> Hello,
>> I would like to use dspam as the unique anti-spam filtering method on
>> a mail server (postfix+dovecot) which will host many domains and many
>> mail user accounts. Having played a bit with dspam, I have the feeling
>> dspam is not the best choice for such a non-homogenous environment.
>> Would anyone still recommend using dspam in such an environment?
>> And if yes, which configuration parameters/options/features would you
>> recommend to use? any tips?
>> Cheers,
>> ML

> Read the Whitepaper.
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=121051231&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: [Dspam-user] dspam in an mail hosting environment

P.V.Anthony
On 04/02/2014 23:14, Stevan Bajić wrote:

> I could write a small docu how to setup that global user and how to
> train it. But I don't know when I have the time in the next days to do
> so. Let me know if you are interested and maybe if you could help me
> with it (my English is not the best).

I can try to help. Please note that I am not an expert.

P.V.Anthony

Re: [Dspam-user] dspam in an mail hosting environment

ML mail
Hi Stevan,

That's correct I use Dovecot and I have already setup its antispam plugin to teach dspam this part works fine but still I would like to avoid to a maximum users having to manually move the FP/FN into the respective IMAP folders (I think here especially about lazy users or users who do not use IMAP but POP3).

Thank you very much for your offer of writing a documentation which would enable such a mutli-user/multi-domain non-homogenous environment to work best. I would love to use dspam instead of spamassassin for many obvious reasons (performance, success rate, statistical method, etc). So yes I am very interested and let me know as soon as I can help, I can for example do all the testing of your documented configuration and of course correct English errors.

Looking forward to that and it looks like many other dspam users too :)

Regards,
ML

On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 4:28 PM, Stevan Bajić <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I was wondering if you already had time to start the small documentation on how to effectively use dspam in a non-homogenous multi-domain mail hosting environment?

Let me know if there is anything I can help with.

[...]

P.S. it would be great if you could write back directly to the dspam-users mailing list, I am only using this e-mail address for mailing lists. Cheers!

[...]

Any news? It's already quite a long time and it looks like this dspam mailing list is dead... is the dspam project maybe also dead?

Regards
ML

On 05/02/2014 01:43 PM, ML mail wrote:

> Any news? It's already quite a long time and it looks like this dspam
> mailing list is dead... is the dspam project maybe also dead?

I do not think dspam project is dead. It might be that list members are
busy.

Hang in there.

The list members are usually very helpful.

P.V.Anthony

Re: [Dspam-user] dspam in an mail hosting environment

Reindl Harald

Am 02.05.2014 12:09, schrieb P.V.Anthony:
> On 05/02/2014 01:43 PM, ML mail wrote:
>
>> Any news? It's already quite a long time and it looks like this dspam
>> mailing list is dead... is the dspam project maybe also dead?
>
> I do not think dspam project is dead. It might be that list members are
> busy.

hope so - i am considering postfix/spamd replacing a Barracuda
Spamfirewall over the long but the last release from 2012-04-11
brings some headache given that there is also a webinterface and
it's very unlikely looking left and right that this is the only
100% perfect written software with not a single security issue

Re: [Dspam-user] dspam in an mail hosting environment

Eric Shubert
Just curious, are you using spamdyke (http://spamdyke.org)? IMO,
spamdyke is the best anti-spam software available. If I had to use only
one thing, it'd be spamdyke. Of course, I do use scanners as well as
spamdyke. Spamdyke rejects 80-90% of the spam up front though, so the
scanners have much less work to do. Your sever load will actually lessen
once it's installed. Win-win.

--
-Eric 'shubes'

Am 02.05.2014 19:06, schrieb Eric Shubert:
> Just curious, are you using spamdyke (http://spamdyke.org)? IMO,
> spamdyke is the best anti-spam software available. If I had to use only
> one thing, it'd be spamdyke. Of course, I do use scanners as well as
> spamdyke. Spamdyke rejects 80-90% of the spam up front though, so the
> scanners have much less work to do. Your sever load will actually lessen
> once it's installed. Win-win

forget it, spamdyke is crap not working generic and not useable in
ISP like setups where you want to build up a gateway MTA based
on postfix for incoming messages and route mail to different
servers

nor can i see any webinterface for users quarantine or bayesian
filters - for RBL and smptd-restrictions you don't need anything
more than postfix/postscreen

>> I don't use qmail. Can I still use spamdyke?
>> Not at this time

WTF we have 2014 and SMTP is generic

On 05/03/2014 01:06 AM, Eric Shubert wrote:
> Just curious, are you using spamdyke (http://spamdyke.org)? IMO,
> spamdyke is the best anti-spam software available. If I had to use only
> one thing, it'd be spamdyke. Of course, I do use scanners as well as
> spamdyke. Spamdyke rejects 80-90% of the spam up front though, so the
> scanners have much less work to do. Your sever load will actually lessen
> once it's installed. Win-win.

It is true that spamdyke is great. I have used spamdyke on qmail
installations. It does do most of the work. The remaining 10% done by dspam.

Dspam is great as well. Currently I am using dspam only on postfix and
it is doing a great job. Actually a wonderful job.

I would love to use spamdyke with postfix but from what I understand
spamdyke only works with qmail.

Does spamdyke with with postfix?

P.V.Anthony

On 05/02/2014 03:23 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 02.05.2014 19:06, schrieb Eric Shubert:
>> Just curious, are you using spamdyke (http://spamdyke.org)? IMO,
>> spamdyke is the best anti-spam software available. If I had to use only
>> one thing, it'd be spamdyke. Of course, I do use scanners as well as
>> spamdyke. Spamdyke rejects 80-90% of the spam up front though, so the
>> scanners have much less work to do. Your sever load will actually lessen
>> once it's installed. Win-win
>
> forget it, spamdyke is crap not working generic and not useable in
> ISP like setups where you want to build up a gateway MTA based
> on postfix for incoming messages and route mail to different
> servers

I apologize for not noticing the reference to postfix. I was thinking
vpopmail for some reason (which would infer qmail).

However, the only thing which makes spamdyke not usable in that scenario
is postfix. When using qmail, it's dandy.

> nor can i see any webinterface for users quarantine or bayesian
> filters -

spamdyke is not a scanner, so it has no need of such features. It simply
rejects outright or not. Furthermore, I doubt one would want such
user-based at the MTA gateway, before the detination server has been
determined.

< for RBL and smptd-restrictions you don't need anything
> more than postfix/postscreen

I haven't investigated the differences between spamdyke and postfix
regarding RBL and smtpd-restrictions, so I don't know if spamdyke offers
anything additional in this arena or not. You may indeed not need
anything more than postfix/postscreen.

>>> I don't use qmail. Can I still use spamdyke?
>>> Not at this time
>
> WTF we have 2014 and SMTP is generic

The spamdyke author is considering modifying it to be usable with
postfix and other MTAs. I expect that when that's done, spamdyke's use
may grow substantially.

FWIW, spamdyke is the main reason I haven't moved from qmail to postfix.

Again, sorry for taking this thread on a side track.

--
-Eric 'shubes'

Re: [Dspam-user] dspam in an mail hosting environment

ML mail
I am hanging here since more than half a year but nothing is really happening. A lot of mails of users who have problems with dspam are left unanswered. The only person which was very useful and willing to help is Steven but it looks like he is not hanging around anymore on this mailing list.

Steven where are you? We need you!