[Dspam-user] run dspam on existing maildir

[Dspam-user] run dspam on existing maildir

Steven Schmeiser
Hi all,
I was wondering if it is possible to run dspam on a maildir of existing messages?  I have my mail server all set up to filter incoming messages, but I have a folder of 50,000 old messages that contain spam.  Now that dspam is trained nicely, I'd like to have it run on all those messages and add dspam headers so I can do something like grep for a dspam spam header and delete the messages marked as spam.  Thanks for any help!

Steve

Re: [Dspam-user] run dspam on existing maildir

Tim Soderstrom
I think dspam_train is what you'll likely want to look at. That's what gets called if you are setting up a spam/ham e-mail account for training and it looks like you can invoke it directly on a folder. If not that, just using 'mail' to loop through the e-mails and forward to your spam catcher address might do the trick?

Thinking aloud here - I haven't been using DSPAM enough to know if that's a definite route to go, but thought I'd give my $0.02.

On Feb 5, 2014, at 9:26 AM, Steven Schmeiser <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,
I was wondering if it is possible to run dspam on a maildir of existing messages?  I have my mail server all set up to filter incoming messages, but I have a folder of 50,000 old messages that contain spam.  Now that dspam is trained nicely, I'd like to have it run on all those messages and add dspam headers so I can do something like grep for a dspam spam header and delete the messages marked as spam.  Thanks for any help!

Steve

Re: [Dspam-user] run dspam on existing maildir

Nathanael D. Noblet
On 02/06/2014 03:56 PM, Tim Soderstrom wrote:
I think dspam_train is what you'll likely want to look at. That's what gets called if you are setting up a spam/ham e-mail account for training and it looks like you can invoke it directly on a folder. If not that, just using 'mail' to loop through the e-mails and forward to your spam catcher address might do the trick?

Thinking aloud here - I haven't been using DSPAM enough to know if that's a definite route to go, but thought I'd give my $0.02.

dspam_train is the correct way to go if the maildir is already classified (as in a directory of ham and a directory of spam). What it does is feed all mail through, every time a ham is mis-classified it retrains itself, and vise versa. Otherwise you'd have to pass all your mail through dspam and manually retrain mis-classifications somehow.