[Dspam-user] using dpsam without a mail server

[Dspam-user] using dpsam without a mail server

Alan Schmitt
Hello,

I would like to use dspam in the setup described below, but I could not
find documentation on how to do so. If someone could send me a pointer
to such documentation, it would be most helpful.

The peculiarity of my setup is that I would like to use dspam without
installing a local mail server. Here is how my mail is configured:

mail server <-- offlineimap --> local dovecot <-- gnus
                              (maildir storage)

The spam filtering provided by the mail server is very lacking, and
cannot be trained. What I would like is to do the spam filtering on my
client machine. I thus need to figure out how to integrate dspam with
the pipeline above (as a posthook after calling offlineimap, or along
with dovecot) so that spam is detected and moved to a special mailbox. I
also need to find out how to train dpsam (the best would be using some
special mailboxes where I move messages that are wrongly detected, so
that I can use them on my smartphone). For the latter, I found some
documentation
(http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/dspam/index.php?title=Installation/Maildir)
but this does not seem to cover the filtering part.

Thanks a lot for any pointer,

Alan

Re: [Dspam-user] using dpsam without a mail server

Tom Hendrikx
On 02/10/2014 02:35 PM, Alan Schmitt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to use dspam in the setup described below, but I could not
> find documentation on how to do so. If someone could send me a pointer
> to such documentation, it would be most helpful.
>
> The peculiarity of my setup is that I would like to use dspam without
> installing a local mail server. Here is how my mail is configured:
>
> mail server <-- offlineimap --> local dovecot <-- gnus
>                               (maildir storage)
>
> The spam filtering provided by the mail server is very lacking, and
> cannot be trained. What I would like is to do the spam filtering on my
> client machine. I thus need to figure out how to integrate dspam with
> the pipeline above (as a posthook after calling offlineimap, or along
> with dovecot) so that spam is detected and moved to a special mailbox. I
> also need to find out how to train dpsam (the best would be using some
> special mailboxes where I move messages that are wrongly detected, so
> that I can use them on my smartphone). For the latter, I found some
> documentation
> (http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/dspam/index.php?title=Installation/Maildir)
> but this does not seem to cover the filtering part.

It seems to me that it's easiest to have offlineimap deliver to dspam,
afterwards having dspam deliver to dovecot using wither calling
dovecot-lda/deliver or using lmtp.

You can find some examples of setups in the README:

http://sourceforge.net/p/dspam/code/ci/master/tree/README

Re: [Dspam-user] using dpsam without a mail server

Alan Schmitt
Hello Tom,

Tom Hendrikx <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 02/10/2014 02:35 PM, Alan Schmitt wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to use dspam in the setup described below, but I could not
>> find documentation on how to do so. If someone could send me a pointer
>> to such documentation, it would be most helpful.
>>
>> The peculiarity of my setup is that I would like to use dspam without
>> installing a local mail server. Here is how my mail is configured:
>>
>> mail server <-- offlineimap --> local dovecot <-- gnus
>>                               (maildir storage)
>>
>> The spam filtering provided by the mail server is very lacking, and
>> cannot be trained. What I would like is to do the spam filtering on my
>> client machine. I thus need to figure out how to integrate dspam with
>> the pipeline above (as a posthook after calling offlineimap, or along
>> with dovecot) so that spam is detected and moved to a special mailbox. I
>> also need to find out how to train dpsam (the best would be using some
>> special mailboxes where I move messages that are wrongly detected, so
>> that I can use them on my smartphone). For the latter, I found some
>> documentation
>> (http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/dspam/index.php?title=Installation/Maildir)
>> but this does not seem to cover the filtering part.
>>

> It seems to me that it's easiest to have offlineimap deliver to dspam,
> afterwards having dspam deliver to dovecot using wither calling
> dovecot-lda/deliver or using lmtp.
>
> You can find some examples of setups in the README:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/p/dspam/code/ci/master/tree/README

Thank you very much for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I could not find
examples about offlineimap in the README, nor in the doc/ directory. (Do
I assume correctly that I need to implement the "delivery proxy" case?)

Right now, offlineimap accesses my mail as follows (to synchronize the
changes to the remote mail server):

[Repository LocalIMAP]
type = IMAP
preauthtunnel = /usr/local/Cellar/dovecot/2.2.7/libexec/dovecot/imap -c ~/.dovecotzimbra.rc

I assume I would need to change these lines to include dspam, but only
when delivering mail but not when accessing mail to find local changes
to propagate upstream.

Could it be simpler to have all my mail delivered to a special mailbox
(i.e., a maildir "unsorted"), then run dspam against it regularly to put
mail in maildirs "ham", "spam", and "unsure"? Is it possible?

Thanks again,

On 02/11/2014 04:53 PM, Alan Schmitt wrote:

> Hello Tom,
>
> Tom Hendrikx <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> On 02/10/2014 02:35 PM, Alan Schmitt wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I would like to use dspam in the setup described below, but I could not
>>> find documentation on how to do so. If someone could send me a pointer
>>> to such documentation, it would be most helpful.
>>>
>>> The peculiarity of my setup is that I would like to use dspam without
>>> installing a local mail server. Here is how my mail is configured:
>>>
>>> mail server <-- offlineimap --> local dovecot <-- gnus
>>>                               (maildir storage)
>>>
>>> The spam filtering provided by the mail server is very lacking, and
>>> cannot be trained. What I would like is to do the spam filtering on my
>>> client machine. I thus need to figure out how to integrate dspam with
>>> the pipeline above (as a posthook after calling offlineimap, or along
>>> with dovecot) so that spam is detected and moved to a special mailbox. I
>>> also need to find out how to train dpsam (the best would be using some
>>> special mailboxes where I move messages that are wrongly detected, so
>>> that I can use them on my smartphone). For the latter, I found some
>>> documentation
>>> (http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/dspam/index.php?title=Installation/Maildir)
>>> but this does not seem to cover the filtering part.
>>>

>> It seems to me that it's easiest to have offlineimap deliver to dspam,
>> afterwards having dspam deliver to dovecot using wither calling
>> dovecot-lda/deliver or using lmtp.
>>
>> You can find some examples of setups in the README:
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/p/dspam/code/ci/master/tree/README
>
> Thank you very much for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I could not find
> examples about offlineimap in the README, nor in the doc/ directory. (Do
> I assume correctly that I need to implement the "delivery proxy" case?)
The delivery agent proxy is indeed the setup that is reflecting your
current setup. In that picture, offlineimap is your MTA, and 'dovecot
delivery method' (you seem to have a somewhat exotic way to do that) is
the LDA.

> Right now, offlineimap accesses my mail as follows (to synchronize the
> changes to the remote mail server):

> [Repository LocalIMAP]
> type = IMAP
> preauthtunnel = /usr/local/Cellar/dovecot/2.2.7/libexec/dovecot/imap -c ~/.dovecotzimbra.rc
>
> I assume I would need to change these lines to include dspam, but only
> when delivering mail but not when accessing mail to find local changes
> to propagate upstream.
I don't really know (or care) how offlineimap works. You need to push
every new message that is received throudgh dspam, then pass it on to
dovecot. If the config above is the right place to do that, then replace
the 'preauthtunnel' commandline with a call to dspam, and use
'TrustedDeliveryAgent/UntrustedDeliveryAgent' to use the dovecot
delivery method that was in offlineimap config before.

> Could it be simpler to have all my mail delivered to a special mailbox
> (i.e., a maildir "unsorted"), then run dspam against it regularly to put
> mail in maildirs "ham", "spam", and "unsure"? Is it possible?

That is an ugly solution I think :)

As you're using a recent dovecot install, you could also look into using
sieve + extprograms extension, to run dspam as a filter from sieve. This
will add the dspam headers that you can use with for instance spamtest
extension (or plain sieve sorting rules).

Tom

Re: [Dspam-user] using dpsam without a mail server

Alan Schmitt
Tom Hendrikx <[hidden email]> writes:

>> Right now, offlineimap accesses my mail as follows (to synchronize the
>> changes to the remote mail server):

>> [Repository LocalIMAP]
>> type = IMAP
>> preauthtunnel = /usr/local/Cellar/dovecot/2.2.7/libexec/dovecot/imap -c ~/.dovecotzimbra.rc
>>
>> I assume I would need to change these lines to include dspam, but only
>> when delivering mail but not when accessing mail to find local changes
>> to propagate upstream.
>
> I don't really know (or care) how offlineimap works. You need to push
> every new message that is received throudgh dspam, then pass it on to
> dovecot. If the config above is the right place to do that, then replace
> the 'preauthtunnel' commandline with a call to dspam, and use
> 'TrustedDeliveryAgent/UntrustedDeliveryAgent' to use the dovecot
> delivery method that was in offlineimap config before.

Offlineimap can only interact with IMAP servers and with maildir. So
unless dspam can act as an IMAP server, I'm afraid this solution cannot
work.

>> Could it be simpler to have all my mail delivered to a special mailbox
>> (i.e., a maildir "unsorted"), then run dspam against it regularly to put
>> mail in maildirs "ham", "spam", and "unsure"? Is it possible?
>
> That is an ugly solution I think :)
>
> As you're using a recent dovecot install, you could also look into using
> sieve + extprograms extension, to run dspam as a filter from sieve. This
> will add the dspam headers that you can use with for instance spamtest
> extension (or plain sieve sorting rules).

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm using dovecot 2.2.10, which seems to
be recent enough. I'll give this a try.

Alan

Re: [Dspam-user] using dpsam without a mail server

Phil Stracchino
On 02/12/14 03:53, Tom Hendrikx wrote:

>> Could it be simpler to have all my mail delivered to a special mailbox
>> (i.e., a maildir "unsorted"), then run dspam against it regularly to put
>> mail in maildirs "ham", "spam", and "unsure"? Is it possible?
>
> That is an ugly solution I think :)
>
> As you're using a recent dovecot install, you could also look into using
> sieve + extprograms extension, to run dspam as a filter from sieve. This
> will add the dspam headers that you can use with for instance spamtest
> extension (or plain sieve sorting rules).

Doing this would be a much better option than delivering it all to a
single mailbox, which will lose SMTP envelope information before you're
done with delivery.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications